Who doesn’t love a good glow?! Even when I’m paler than pale I still love a proper dust of the right bronze’. Loyal as the day is long to my people and products sometimes there is something (or someone) that enters into my orb and makes me pause. Whatever or whoever it is that inspires the pause is usually aligned with my values – or I just dig their personality. Attraction and likeness is a thing! Next up in litmus test is that any newly introduced product (to my skin & MU regime and routine) does not mess with my skin – which brings us to today’s share: my top bronzer picks that won’t break out your skin! Let’s do this.
First off, the key (IMO) to nailing the perfect bronzer is choosing products that a) will not make you orange should you accidentally over-apply and b) they won’t grandly illuminate your pores!
Goddess-worthy Bronzers: Tried, tested and true
1. Lawless Beauty’s Summer Skin Velvet Matte Bronzer in Golden Hour. This has been my updated matte bronzer since November 2019. Prior to, I used Jane Iredel’s matte pressed powder in Autumn as my go-to matte bronzer since 2010 (we had a long run!). JI’s bronzer is great – no reason to have stopped using it aside from the fact that I was Lawless-curious at the same time my JI bronzer ran out and I dig Annie! She’s done some great things from a place of purpose (co-founded Suja Juice), including creating her clean MU line. Back to Golden Hour: I love a good matte bronzer to wash the complexion with that doesn’t magnify pores (and this does not magnify pores). The texture is nice and even the fairest of skin can use this shade because the name of the game is LAYER and build. I do find myself needing to dust more on at the end of the day in touch up which actually works – because laying this doesn’t equal a chalky build, it still resembles a beautifully light bronze in application to outcome. If you want the bronze that stays, it’s coming up (we will chat Lawless’ loose powder in Golden should you read on). Lawless Beauty is clean MU and this finely milled, luxe velvet powder easily does the job you want your daily bronzer to do. If you’re a bit of a MU rookie, love an understated look (or your lust just runs less deep) this is the perfect one and done bronzer for you.
2. Golden Glow Baked Bronzing Powder by Gee Beauty. So – I’ve avoided bronzers that have any type of shimmer in them like the plague, until now. NatGee sold me on this can’t live without bronzer in one of her incredible IGTV videos during #quaratine. This product officially has a solid place in my line-up and I love the glow it gives me. No orange-look, simply bronze goddess and does not enlarge the look of pores. Winning! Although not technically considered ‘clean’ there isn’t one Gee Beauty product that’s disrupted my skin to date and I’ve basically tried the whole line. Gee Beauty is highly breathable-beautiful in wear and designed for skin. I’ll do a deeper review and product breakdown shortly. Last note on this particular bronzer: it creates a show-stopping look that you’ll absolutely want to rock whether doing a power lunch or a night out. It’s perfect.
3. Gee Beauty Bronzing Powder in Tuscany. NatGee strikes again! At this point it would honestly just be handier to give Gee Beauty access to my bank account; not a bad thing :). This is another monkey see monkey do purchase in I loved the look that Nat created, hence I scooped it up to create for my very own. I love that this bronzer is matte and adds the dimension of darker bronze, lighter bronze, and creamy shades of yellow-y cream and pink. This gives a perfect glow that says, “I’m slightly tanned and you’ll never guess where I just had lunch that gave me this sassy glow”. It’s the sun-kiss you can’t describe because it’s not in your face but it’s there. Perfect for daytime, perfect for an evening touch-up in highlight. This totally has a place in my line-up and it’s a product I never thought would. This is a bronzer I would definitely pop into my travel bag if limited packing had to happen. It lends itself well to multi-use wear (day/night) without over-doing it. Side note: there are so many Gee Beauty products that are hella versatile – meaning they’re multi-use in purpose and I love that. I’m also stoked to try Gee’s pressed powder in Medium for a variation in look and great base.
4. Lawless Beauty’s Seal the Deal Loose Setting Powder in Golden. This is a great product and one that is under-used at present as I’m just not tanned and hence reach for it less (plus it’s a little less fool-proof in application). I also haven’t really had the need for my MU to super stay put for long wear whilst occupying the land of #stayhome, otherwise this product would be given more wear. This particular loose powder in Golden really kicks the bronzing action up a notch in dimension and its pigment and longevity in wear is second to none. You won’t find shimmer or a sheen in this clean and light powder which is a good thing for those times you want to create a very second-skin matte look. But – if you want the glow, you can absolutely dial the glow on top with Lawless’ Lucid Skin Highlighter while controlling the placement you wish be highlighted. Finely milled bronzer heaven that creates incredible dimension (when you place it properly) is what I have to say about this. This is for the woman who effortlessly goes the extra mile to curate the perfect bronzed look that will last all day. I’m not normally a loose powder girl though I was inspired this fall to learn how to bake hence cue loose powder.
5. Jane Iredel’s Pressed Mineral Powder in Autumn. What can I say! I used this matte bronzer for almost 10 years and it did everything I wanted it to – it bronzed me and kept my skin healthy. I was introduced to Jane Iredel by a MU artist who had killer MU and skin and at the time, I was in complete revamp mode to detoxing every aspect of my life including my makeup. A little goes a long way with this product and I think I replaced it twice/year and wore it every day. Still dig it and would recommend, although I’m loving my new finds in Lawless and Gee and my first choice is supporting those I’m most aligned with. I used to use JI Liquid Minerals at one point and loved it too (buildable liquid foundation) ~ until the formula changed. All of that is for yet, another post as I have new favorites to update you with 🙂 Ending on a high note, I am so grateful to have had this line in my life to transition me from my MAC obsession (2000-2010) that wasn’t doing my skin any good, into something that was much healthier and truly changed my life at the time. AMEN and thank you from the bottom of my heart. There’s nothing quite like healthy skin and a love of MU to play with on top of it.
Circling back to the things that bronzer MUST do in my life 1) Not make me orange, and 2) Not illuminate enlarged pores! – post passing the healthy for my skin test, and the above pass all of these test and then some. Nailing your base layer of MU (or skin base) is such a huge deal and life-saver (you feel good hence one less thing to fuss or dare I say stress about). I do hope if your’e looking for a new bronzer you give one of these a try! They’re truly noteworthy and if you’re someone who is particular like me, you’ll love the details that go into each. They’re truly each unique and work.