Okay, so I’ve tried a lot of supposed low to no sugar skinny margaritas in my day and some have turned me off they’ve been so effing sweet they might as well have handed me a zesty lime flavored sugar cube instead. I mean, are we trying to get a sugar-headache here or quench our thirst with something light and fresh that isn’t going to add a zillion empty calories to our day?
A no-sugar or sugar-free skinny margarita is something whether alcohol-free or alcohol-infused is a total thirst quencher and fun celebratory drink. Cue hint of lime tortilla chips with the best homemade pico de gallo sauce. Legit the best late afternoon pre-dinner snack in Happy Hour pick me up.
I’ll cut straight to the ratios and get you on your way.
How to Make the Best No-sugar sugar-free Skinny Margarita (with or without alcohol)
- 300ml of lime juice or 3 whole limes (these are small limes, I’ve really never seen a big lime in my day)
- 1/2 full dopper of Liquid stevia (sweeten as you wish, this is what works for me)
- 1 orange slice (1/8 of a larger orange)
- 1.5 oz blanco tequila (love Don Julio blanco or 1800 silver. I know the world loves Casamigos and I love George Clooney too, but for a marg’ this tequila is a little vanilla-y for me. Casamigos on the rocks, can do.)
- Tajin to garnish 1/2 the rim
Other on-hand things to make your life easier:
- Cocktail shaker
- Lime squeezer (if squeezing limes)
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Silicon ice cube trays (if your refrigerator doesn’t pre-make ice)
Follow these steps to make the perfect, no-sugar sugar-free skinny margarita:
- If not using lime juice (not available in abundance in Canada alike the abundant availability in the USA), first roll limes on a cutting board back and forth until they soften up a little. Put your body weight into it.
- Once limes are a little less ‘taught’ and a little more ‘squeezy’, cut the limes in half. You should end up with 6 lime halves since you just cut 3 limes in half. It’s kind of a fun labor of love until you’re ready for your second margarita 😛
- Pop each half lime into the lime squeezer, and squeeze overtop and into your favorite cocktail shaker. I like this one and you can find it on Amazon.
- Squeeze orange wedge with your hand into the cocktail shaker.
- Pop a handful of ice into the shaker
- Pour alcohol into the shaker. Shake (count to 8).
- Pour over a rocks glass pre-loaded w/a half rim of Tajin and glass full of ice.
- **Note: the alcohol goes into the shaker last and ice goes in second last, so as to not have the ice melt and dilute the lime juice mixture and alcohol. The ice is simply used to gently pre-chill the juice x alcohol blend.
Share your favorite tequila below and tag me @sloanlauinger in your post when you make this hella’ delish beverage. Can’t wait to virtually cheers you!