(five minute read)
I don't know about you, but there have been points in time that I've had every opportunity in front of me and I've sabotaged myself. Why would anyone do such thing? Well, for fear of greater success. The reason why you might be afraid of success is the responsibility that comes with it. The responsibility of serving a larger community or body of people, the responsibility of your voice being heard and the content you share being valuable and truly impactful. And, what if a piece of that content that you share gets taken out of context? I mean, it could become a PR nightmare! Lol. Let's not go getting ahead of ourselves here.
The fear of success is all in your mind and I won't say it's not real. Maybe you've experienced success and it has been ‘exhausting' (I don't actually use that word in my vocabulary). When you are running a successful business or want to grow into success, showing up consistently is part of that doomed responsibility I mentioned in paragraph one. Get over it. Make the decision and realize that creating results, making an impact and learning into a success isn't a buffet, it's a full meal deal package. It's a cuisine that is designed for your palette. You are the one, after all, who manifested it.
Let's debunk why you might be afraid of success and create a short list of why stepping into the possibility of success is a far more serving choice 🙂
You might fear success because:
- With great success comes great responsibility; you're serving more people and your impact will have greater reach. More lives are depending upon you and your message (and service)!
- In order to be successful you get to start showing up consistently
- You may get to start being a bit more conscious with what you share and how you share it (people are watching now). Being mindful, conscious and value-oriented is likely second nature though by now, and the odd cuss won't kill anyone 😉
- You might get asked to “do more”. Mmhmm. You're in demand now and you're going to have the chance to rearrange your schedule, which means grow your business and bring on team members which, equals short-term terrifying because you're now directly responsible for more people and their livelihoods. You see the system I'm working though here 😉
Why you get to step into your power and quit fearing success:
- When you use your voice powerfully you get to change lives! Think about you sharing your story. The experience that changed your life, that you survived and that has now led you to thrive. Think about something on the other end of that very story experiencing something very similar (in their own experience) that id desperate for your help.
- Think about this next time you feel like you are “selling someone something”. All of a sudden it doesn't feel like you're “selling” when you're actually solving someone's problem that changes their life and they become better off and grateful for your help. Am I right? I've been “enrolled” before and I've also been on my knees grateful that someone stood for me when I didn't want to. They knew I needed them more than I did. I trusted their word, committed to showing up and stepping out of my fear of success (or pain) and things changed.
- I encourage you to think about these things whether you being the one making the decision to get help or the one who is offering support, whatever the topic.
- Success generally reciprocates monetarily. You do want to get paid for what you do, don't you? Step further into success and increase your income. Not a bad deal if I do say so myself.
- When you gain success you start to develop a track record and credibility and voila, more people want to work with you and collaborate with you on cool projects/opportunities because they know you, they like you, and they trust you. You've let yourself be visible and you're making a difference in others lives. This is where mutual support gets to happen, how you build your trusted and expansive tribe.
See, the perks to success far outweigh any reason why you might be afraid of success, right?
Let me know in the comments or email me directly on what's stopped you to date from stepping into your success and/or what is still stopping you! Let's work through it so you can get to the other side and be on the winning side to making a difference and getting paid for it. Reach me at email@example.com with the subject line: I'm not afraid of success anymore!